The Night Is There for Coding: Here's What Happened at Our 30 Hour Code Camp.
During the last week of October, the very first ti&m code camp took place. 25 surfers, that’s what we call our agile employees, signed up to code for 30 hours and to resolve several technical challenges. Here’s what happened.
At the office, we sometimes don’t find enough time to work on truly new, innovative ideas and often don’t have the opportunity to work with other colleagues from the company that we’d like to share some experiences with. Thus, the main goal of the code camp was to create a space for new ideas and the sharing of knowledge as well as to bring a variety of people together. On top of that, it was also going to be a lot of fun!
The event started on a Thursday morning in Flumserberg. Participants received a warm welcome with a steaming coffee and tasty gipfeli and everyone seemed to really enjoy the idyllic location at the Juhui and the great weather. However, we were soon headed inside to set up our workspaces and get started on the challenges surrounded by this unique environment.
There were six teams solving six challenges:
- SAM (Secure Artificial Intelligence Messenger): Integrating a language recognition framework with the ti&m channel suite modules and offering the possibility to execute voice commands.
- Chat bot: Configuring the ti&m secure chat module to use a chat bot as first contact with the customer. The chat bot can be hosted.
- OpenShift: Improving the deployment of the ti&m channel suite modules using OpenShift. Its friendly web management tool offers the operations team the opportunity to configure and administrate modules smoothly.
- New front-end stack: Designing a new front-end stack for the ti&m channel suite modules based on React. This allows for the opportunity to be used within mobile native applications while using exisiting components developed in AngularJS.
- Spring WebFlux: Integrating the new Spring 5.x feature named “Spring WebFlux” into the ti&m channel suite modules. Improving the scalability of modules and the performance of the platform.
- Minimal micro-service: Implementing a minimalistic micro-service using kotlin, jooq and kodein. Being able to interact with existing channel suite modules.
All throughout the day, there was a great atmosphere, team spirit and innovation. Even at night, the teams did not lose their motivation and some people coded until the next morning! Even on Friday, when the weather wasn’t as good as the day before, the coding spirit held up.
Late in the afternoon on the last day, all teams got together to present the results to the rest of the coders and some extra surfers who had decided to join the presentations. Afterwards, everyone was able to vote for their favourite solution.
The team with the most votes was the one that had worked on “SAM”. Said team had developed a mobile application, which allows the user to interact with a virtual bank agent and execute voice commands such as, “SAM, please book an appointment for tomorrow at 11:00” or ask questions such as. “SAM, is my agent available tomorrow?”. Definitely stay tuned for more infos on this and other challenges in further blog posts.
Then, we all enjoyed a farewell apéro, inspiring technical discussions and some Latin cocktails.
Some impressions from the surfers that attended the event:
"I've learned a lot! And had so much fun!"
"Great event, great place and atmosphere!"
"When is the next code camp? Next month?"
Personally, I’ve enjoyed the great team spirit, all the innovation and all the lessons learned that will improve our product development.
Dass schnelle Innovationen in grossen Organisationen möglich sein soll, scheint vielen unmöglich zu sein. Doch Thomas Wüst zeigt mit seiner ti&m AG jeden Tag aufs Neue, dass genau dies möglich ist.Mehr erfahren
Das Jahr 2015 markiert ein Meilenstein in der digitalen Medienlandschaft. Zum ersten Mal verwendeten mehr Leute das Internet über mobile Geräte als über Desktop-Browser. Die Webseitenbetreiber haben deshalb ihre Webseiten responsive gestaltet. Je nach Gerät und Bildschirmgrösse wird das Layout der Seite anders dargestellt, so dass der Inhalt immer optimal sichtbar ist.Mehr erfahren
Technologische Fortschritte wie Automatisierung und künstliche Intelligenz gehen auch am Private Banking nicht vorbei. Matthias Plattner plädiert für eine Verbindung alter Werte und neuer Technologien und zieht eine Analogie zur Kampfsportart Aikido.Mehr erfahren